Left foot is hurting and hurting to walk. Redness in side of foot and ankle. Took steroids. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi! 32 yr old male here. Very healthy not on medications of any sort. A couple months ago the heel of my left foot began hurting to the point it would hurt to walk. I thought it would pass did not think anything of it. Not long after while I was at work all of a sudden my ankle began swelling there was redness down the side of my foot and ankle and it was painful to touch. A couple days later the swelling went down pain went away and it began bruising as if I had sprain it, however, I had not injured it. It went away for a couple weeks and returned again doing the same thing just on top of my foot. Went to the doctor they did Xrays and blood work no infections and no "gout"?? if that's how its spelled. Doctor gave me steroids and it seemed to clear it up. NOW a week later its moved to my left shin its red and painful to touch??? any ideas what this might be??
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be auto immune disorder.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
As per your history and presentation there is possibility of systemic autoimmune diseases which is involving multiple parts.
I will advise to do blood investigation for autoimmune diseases, investigation like ANA,dsDNA, ssDNA may help.

Another possibility of malignancy can be kept ,MRI of involved ankle will help to see for any XXXXXXX lesion.

Till time take rest and you can use supportive splint and improve immunity to combat against illness.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.