Left ear has been numb since waking up. Causes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my left ear has been numb since i woke up this morning about 3 hours ago, what could be causing this?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 minutes later
Hi there.

I have read and understood your problem.

Are you having any fever, headache, vision disturbances, any running nose?

Have you sustained any trauma to head, ear?

Any ear discharge or pain or difficulty in hearing recently?

Any history of diabetes, high blood pressure?

Do you have any numbness over the face?

Usually it could be due to sleeping on the left side of the head for a long time which may cause numbness. Other less likely causes can be viral infection of nerves, possible nerve damage due to Diabetes, connective tissue disorders, mass in the cranial cavity etc.

Do not worry. Often these symptoms recover in a few hours. You may take some multivitamin supplements for a few weeks. If this numbness worsens or you persist to have it for more than 2 days, then please consult your ENT Specialist for a detailed examination to rule out other causes mentioned above and more.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.