Left ear and sometimes the whole head hurts. could this be a toothache gone virual?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
My left ear is constntly stooped up most of the time and sometimes my whole left side of my head hurts as well could this be a toothache gone virual?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be an ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are a number of possible causes for these symptoms.
It may be related to your teeth. The pain may get worse when you eat if this is the case. However, toothache does not usually affect the ears.
You could possibly have a middle ear infection. This would cause pain and also there may be a slight temperature, lack of energy, nausea and possibly slight deafness in the affected ear.
Ear infections are most commonly viral and will last 2-3 days and then resolve spontaneously.
Alternatively, this may be related to your tonsils and could be tonsillitis.
I think the most likely diagnosis is an ear infection. I suggest you try paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain. This will also help any inflammation. Wait 24 to 48 hours and if you are no better then I advise a visit to your doctor who will be able to examine you to help with diagnosis.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Left ear and sometimes the whole head hurts. could this be a toothache gone virual? 6 minutes later
Ok.. I have another question, sometimes I get these very sharp pain down the middle of my chest n it feels lyk something is trying to come up my throat. What could this be?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely heartburn with reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further question.
This could be heartburn with the acid reflux causing the pain and the sensation in your throat. This can be related to certain foods such as spicy or fatty foods. I suggest trying simple antacids initially which can be bought over the counter. These neutralize stomach acid and relieve symptoms.
Hope this helps you.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Left ear and sometimes the whole head hurts. could this be a toothache gone virual? 19 minutes later
I have another question. Sometimes I have this weird inner pain under my back right shoulder blade and it goes down to my elbow it hurts really bad to inhale deep or move my right arm . What could this be?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly related to heartburn.

Detailed Answer:
Pain from heartburn or gastritis can radiate through to the back at the level of the shoulder blades and increase on deep breathing. It would not usually extend to the elbow or affect the movement of your arm.
These symptoms could be related to a muscle strain. I suggest that if they have not recovered in a week that a visit to your doctor would help as your doctor would be able to examine your shoulder and suggest further tests if needed.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Left ear and sometimes the whole head hurts. could this be a toothache gone virual? 3 hours later
Sometimes I have these bumps in my pubic hair area and when I squeeze them blood mixed with white stuff burst out. What could this be?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not my area of expertise.

Detailed Answer:
I am not the appropriate specialist to answer this query. Therefore, I suggest you close this query and open a new question. You will then have the correct specialist dealing with your question.
Dr K A Pottinger