Left chest pain and shoulder blade pain. What is wrong if EKG and blood work showed normal?

Question
ive been having left chest pain and burning under the left shoulder blade it seems to go away when i lay down i am a 30 year old male dont smoke or do druggs any ideas i have had ekgs and bloodwork all fine
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 14 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Although your symptoms are actually suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease or gastritis, the fact that they are relieved when you lie down suggests that anxiety has a large role to play in your symptoms.
At this age, with the risk factors that you have described, there is no reason to consider heart disease as a likely possibility in you.
I would suggest the following:
a. Eat small meals at regular intervals. Avoid a heavy dinner and eat atleast 2 hours before going to bed.
b. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
c. Try XXXXXXX breathing and yoga to relieve any kind of anxiety or stress. Whenever you feel the pain, take a few XXXXXXX breaths in which you take the air right to the bottom of your lungs.
d. If the above do not help within a week, take Tablet Prevacid OTC once a day 1 hour before meals.
e. Please see a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Anxiety can cause a myriad of symptoms and its important that we address the cause so that we can give you a permanent solution.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Left chest pain and shoulder blade pain. What is wrong if EKG and blood work showed normal? 2 hours later
sometimes i also get light headed ...im going to have a echo test done and a stress test
hello im a 30 year old male dont smoke ,drink or do drugs been having chest for about a year now i started with panic attacks then the panic attacks quit now im having almost constant chest pain around the heart and rib and some times it goes into my back around the left shoulder blade ...any ideas ive had 3 ekgs ,blood test, xray and ill looked normal any ideas and sometimes i get a little light headed and my memory is not that great...i chew alot of sugar free gum i also have been having diarrea alot ...please help me ???????? pain seems to go away when i lay down

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
As I explained, your symptoms are primarily due to gastroesophageal reflux or anxiety. The latter seems more probable. You can reduce anxiety by XXXXXXX breathing and yoga. Also, try talking to your friends or family and try and address the issue which is leading to all this anxiety. I would suggest you see a psychiatrist and a therapist to solve these issues. Till then, you can try and follow the steps I had mentioned earlier.
As far as the diarrhoea is concerned, it could be due to the anxiety or due to the sugar free gum. Many of these gums have xylitol which is known to be a laxative and can cause diarrhoea when taken in excessive quantities.

Follow-up: Left chest pain and shoulder blade pain. What is wrong if EKG and blood work showed normal? 10 hours later
ok thanks but what about the burning under the left shoulder blade please let me know

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 18 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Localized burning sensation at particular / spot can occur due to:
1. Shingles - when there is past history of herpes / chickenpox
2. Vitamin deficiency - vitamin b12 needs consideration.
3. Somatoform disorders / somatic complaints - when no medical condition can explain the symptoms.

Based on your description, the fact that these symptoms disappear upon lying down and considering you haven't contracted herpes / chickenpox, it is likely that you may be having somatic symptoms secondary to anxiety.

I strongly believe your symptoms would improve with proper anxiety management. Please try the options, I had mentioned in my previous replies. If you do not find benefits, brief treatment with anti-anxiety drugs, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors can be tried under the able guidance of a psychiatrist.

Your symptoms do not relate to heart pathology. So do not worry.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wish you good health.