Left bundle branch block, skin peels,callus, symptomatic, paranoia

I'm 69, six feet tall, weigh 225. I have a left bundle branch block that has been controlled with drugs and exercise for the last 18 years. the mid knuckles on my right index and middle finger have taken on a callus like look and the skin peels from time to time. I do no work or exercise that would incur calluses. It seems to me it must be symptomatic, probably of my paranoia.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all let me reassure you that the symptoms you are experiencing are not reflective of any type of worrisome process. I have to think that the most likely cause of the calluses which you are able to appreciate is a mild degree of osteoarthritis. This is a very common condition and generally occurs in joints which are used frequently such as feet and hands. This is not a case of rheumatoid arthritis because in that case you would have multiple joints affected in a similar fashion.

Your obvious next question would be how do I deal with this and control it. If the symptoms are not painful or disabling we generally observe them for the time being. You might consider using a good moisturizing cream on your hands in order to help with the skin breakdown and other changes what you have experienced.
One other question I have for you would be for you to list for me the current medications what you take on a daily basis. Very rarely some medications may cause a bit of arthritic changes. I doubt this is the case for you but I would just like to be complete nonetheless.

In summary again this is something that I do not consider to be worrisome or a harbinger of a significant underlying disease process. I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional follow-up concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga