Left breast mammogram, ultrasound for nodules, fine needle aspiration cytology, cells inflammation, fibrosed or malignant

I am supposed to have an ultrasound to further look at nodules found in my left breast during a recent screening mammogram. This scares me - should I be yet? or is finding nodules a commoon, usually harmless thing? Thanks .
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Nodules on mammogram may or may not be a harmless finding.

Usually breasts contain benign nodules which remain without causing any problems. These are called fibroadenomas.

An ultrasound will help in assessing its attachment to the deeper tissue.

The diagnostic test such as "Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology" (FNAC) in which aspiration of the material of the nodule is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe may be needed at a later stage. This material is then examined under microscope to find out the nature of cells it contains which can be inflammatory, fibrosed or malignant.

Do not worry. Discuss about these options with your primary doctor.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.