Left abdominal, leg crease pain radiating to left testicle. Lower back pain history. X-ray done. Prescribed with Mild muscle relaxer, steroid. Is there a possibility of Sciatica?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
49 year old construction worker. Off work for 3 + years. Returned to work 5 weeks ago. Pain seamed similar to sciatic pain, however, pain seams more located in left abdominal/leg crease radiating into left testical and somewhat down left XXXXXXX Multiple stairs to climb (110) as well as walking great distanced and toting heavy tools. History of lower back pain. X-Rays thursday were clear for hip/lumbar spinal region, however, pain worsening with time. Off work thurs and today. Meds from Doctor mild muscle relaxer and steroid. Does this sound like something other than sciatica (history X 3 for sciatica over last 20 years) (ex-paramedic).
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Your history is suggestive of a pain related to nerve root irritation or compression. Most of the times such abnormalities are not detected on an X-ray. Going for an MRI will be a better option.
Meanwhile taking right combination of pain killers and muscle relaxants will help in relieving the symptoms.
You can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.