Lean and underweight. How to gain weight?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I m 5'7" and weigh 57kgs and my age is 38years. I am lean and underweight. How do i gain weight????
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later
Hi Vardaraj,

You have provided me with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem. So please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Have you lost weight recently?

Are you having any chronic cough, joint pains, weakness, diarrhea, tremors of hands, excessive sweating, decreased sleep, mood changes, or appetite changes recently?

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 20.7. Normal BMI is from 18.5 to 24.9. It means you are not underweight by this scale.

Usually some persons have a high metabolism and have difficulty gaining weight as they convert the food eaten, more into heat than into fat.

There are certain medical disorders which can also cause difficulty in gaining weight, like Hyperthyroidism, Anxiety, Tuberculosis, Connective tissue disorders etc.

You should consume a well balanced diet. In your case a protein XXXXXXX diet is important. Calcium is important for strength of bones. Also fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables provide essential vitamins for good health. Drink plenty of water. Avoid junk food, fast food, smoking and alcohol.

Do daily moderate exercise. It would be wise to join a Gym and perform graded weight training exercises to increase muscle bulk.

Kindly do respond to the above mentioned queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.