Leaking parotid gland after face-lift, wearing pressure dressing. What can be done to speed up healing?

I had face-lift in April. I have had several complications to include a leaking parotid gland. Initially one on each side was leaking and now only one is leaking. My Dr has tried botox and that worked for a while, and now I am wearing a pressure dressing 24/7. I read where it should heal itself, but after 5 months it has not healed, only slowed down. What is usually done in these cases? All the other complications have been resolved.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The treatment of choice for a leaking parotid gland after a facelift is a conservative one. Pressure dressing and drain in place usually cause healing in 4-6 weesks. The parotid flow may encourage persistance of the leak. Therefore avoid diets that promote excessive salivation like spicy and sour diets.
Anti-cholinergic medications are proper treatments for leaking parotid gland. You can ask your physician for a prescription.
A compression-dressing is helpful, along with manual massage after meals. This will allow the flap to adhere, and stop the leak.
Botox treatments to the parotid gland will slow the drainage, and may speed recovery. Repeat surgery is generally not needed, and if done, must be carefully weighed.
If the leakage not resolved in more than 10weeks, the surgical exploration and ligation of the leaking duct may needed. This a rare condition and time will improve the amount of the leakage. After 5 months of facelift since your leakage is continuing, you can discuss this option with your surgeon.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Leaking parotid gland after face-lift, wearing pressure dressing. What can be done to speed up healing? 4 hours later
What is done during surgery to repair the parotid gland?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

In this surgery the fistula is repaired or a part of the gland is removed according to the need.

The operating surgeon decides the procedure needed after thorough examination.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.