Lately been having lower abdominal pain, pressure feeling movement but not pregnant?

Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Hi Paquin(Hope I got your name correct!) and thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health worries today. I am so sorry about what you have been experiencing lately.

From the description of your symptoms: Lower abdominal pains, pressure, feeling movement but not pregnant, the suspicion for a pelvic mass is high. A pelvic mass can originate from the uterus(fibroids), Ovaries(cyst), fallopian tubes(infections) etc. At times, these may just be subjective feelings not really associated with any real abnormality going on. The latter is more often in women who really long for a pregnancy but I am not sure if this is the situation with you.

These symptoms can be explained by the fact that as a new structure(mass) develops, it exerts pressure on adjacent organs which creates this sensation of fullness and eventually pains as it increases in size. Depending on how loosely attached it is, it can move from one position to another especially when we also change our body posture. If the mass should become big, other symptoms like frequent urination, constipation, etc may also develop.

To be so sure whether you have any of the above mentioned diseases or not, you will need to be examined by your OBGYN. This will be completed by an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. This will look at the ovaries, uterus and other pelvic organs for any abnormalities. Depending on the initial findings, other investigations could be requested accordingly if more answers are needed.

I hope this answers your query. If there are any specific questions or worries you wish they were addressed, please ask follow up questions and i will be more than happy to address them. Once more, thanks for this query.
I wish you all the best as you strive to get answers and solutions to this problem.
Dr. Ditah, MD.