Late periods, 2 negative HPTs, tingly and sore breasts, spotting, headaches, hormone progesterone. Possibility of pregnancy?

I'm 33 my period is 8 days late. This is not normal for me. I've taken 2 HPT's and both were negative. My breasts are tingly and sore, I've been spotting off and on for 5 days. I've been having a lot of headaches lately, which is not normal for me. Is it possible that I am pregnant? I've heard of the HPT's not working if your hormone progesterone isn't high enough? I have 2 children so, this isn't too new to me.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that the symptoms are associated with Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding.

Sore breasts with headache goes in the favour of PMS (Premenstrual syndrome).

Pregnancy test done twice can not be wrong but to confirm you can go for hCG levels in the blood and an Ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

You have mentioned that you had undergone D&C for heavy periods with no relief. You can start tablet primolut-N or norethistrone after discussing with your doctor. This is to be taken when you are sure that you are not pregnant.

If this drug is not available then start with medroxyprogesterone acetate. For PMS you can try primrose oil in the form of capsules in the post ovulatory phase.

It would be better to get your thyroid profile done.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Late periods, 2 negative HPTs, tingly and sore breasts, spotting, headaches, hormone progesterone. Possibility of pregnancy? 8 hours later
We are trying to conceive....what should I do? Is there anything that could be done to help with these symptoms that won't hinder our chances of conceiving? I really would love to have another child.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks for writing again.

You can take dydrogestrone which is a progestogen and doesn't inhibit ovulation.It It will help out in relieving your symptoms of PMS as well as irregular cycles.This can be repeated for various cycles till your symptoms are controlled.Do consult your treating gynecologist for the same.

You can go for follicular studies under ultrasound from 11th to 14th day.
If you are not able to conceive then we will look for another factors like tubes and endometrium etc.

I hope I have tried to solve your query,
If you want to ask anything else you are most welcome