Late period, pregnancy signs, negative HPT. What could be this?

Mar 2016

11 days late, with regular periods 2-3 days out XXXXXXX
pregnancy sings
neg test
1 faint pos test
started bleeding- first pinkish discharge, then brown now red, non appearent when wiping only inside.
pregnant? or period?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

According to your clinical presentation, it is mostly suggestive of early sign of miscarriage. Therefore, I suggest you to undergo one blood test for beta HCG and one Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to confirm intrauterine conception and viability of fetus.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other possible reasons for irregular bleeding/ spotting are stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as ultrasound scan for lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, blood sugar & prolactin level, thyroid profile etc.

In this scenario, you need to consult with a gynecologist who can help you in guide through the investigations & next line of management after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & folic acid supplements. You may require a good hematinics.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Maintain genital hygiene and need adequate sleeping.
6) Control body weight by regular exercise (if you are not pregnant)
7) May need one psychological counseling for healthy life style.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Late period, pregnancy signs, negative HPT. What could be this? 7 minutes later
i lost about 6kg in 4 weeks but i dont think i was unhealthy,
i am still having stomach cramps but they are a bit higher than where i normally exoerience period cramps.

do you think i am having a miscarraige ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

It may be sign of miscarriage (late period with pinkish to reddish bleeding and abdominal cramp). Only blood test for beta HCG & TVS scan can confirm whether it is early sign of miscarriage or not though you get one faint positive pregnancy test. Early pregnancy test not always give 100% accurate result. So you can proceed to above investigations to confirm intrauterine conception.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen