Late menstrual cycle, hashimoto's, synthroid

Question
Hello. I am 27, 5' 7", and weight 200 lbs. I am on day 59 of my menstrual cycle and have taken two hpt's, both of which were negative. My cycle's were normally 29 to 32 days, and I have never been this late before. I also have Hashimoto's, dignosed 4 years ago and currently controlled by 175 mcg Synthroid daily, and am curious if it could affect my hormone levels enough to cause a false negative hpt? I plan on seeing my Dr if I do not start my cycle within another week or two. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Hi

No, synthyroid would not alter hormone levels. IT would not alter the home pregnancy test.

HPTs take about 2 weeks to become positive after conception. So if the test was done within 2-3 weeks of the last intercourse it may be worth repeating the test now or else you can consult a doctor to rule out pregnancy.

Regards.

Follow-up: Late menstrual cycle, hashimoto's, synthroid 8 hours later
Thanks for the response. I didn't think the medication could be to blame. Instead I was curious if the thyroid condition could be to blame for a false negative hpt. I know that the level of medicine would probably need to be adjusted with pregnancy, but didn't know when that would take effect. I have made an appt with my Dr. for two days from now. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later

Thanks, if you are satisfied with my answer please accept it.

Wish you a good health and bright future.