Late for periods, having period cramps. Suggest how to terminate pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Its been a week late that i dint get my periods and from past two days iam period cramps,i dont wanna get pregnant now need solution for killing pregnancy
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later

Delay in periods can occur due to many causes.
So you once go for urine pregnancy test to confirm.
If the test comes positive, you have to consult gynecologist and go for ultrasound.
Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to exclude the ectopic pregnancy and to estimate the gestational age.
After that with your doctor's advice, according to your gestational age you can choose the method of abortion.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Late for periods, having period cramps. Suggest how to terminate pregnancy? 4 minutes later
What if the pregnancy test is negative and still if i dint get periods.if we once go for abortion can we get pregnant again

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later

If the urine pregnancy test comes negative, wait for one more week.
Possibly by that time you will get periods.
If you do not get periods even after one week, go for repeat pregnancy test.
If the test comes negative, consult gynecologist and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.
One abortion performed in medical method or by aseptic surgical method usually won't affect the fertility and you may not have problem in getting pregnancy in future.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Late for periods, having period cramps. Suggest how to terminate pregnancy? 1 hour later
are there any chances to get pregnant if we had protected sex. Because we had protected sex and iam sure I cant be pregnant. kindly tell what would be the other reasons for missing periods but having period cramps

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later

Usually the chance of getting pregnancy is less as you had protected intercourse.
But as the contraceptive methods are having some amount of failure rate, better to go for pregnancy test once.
The other possible causes for delayed periods are:
-Hormonal imbalance seen in conditions like PCOD. Changes in the weight due to dietary changes, stress and strain can also affect the hormonal levels.
-Thyroid abnormalities.
-Anemia etc.
In premenstrual phase or in ovulatory phase the abdominal cramps can be seen.
PCOD, ovarian cysts etc can also present with abdominal cramps.