Late for periods and had brown spotting. HPT negative. What could be the cause?

I am five days late and just recently had brown blood. Not a lot and now nothing. The next day. I've taken 3 pregnancy tests and they were all negative. 2 different brands. I. A little confused. My last menstrual cycle was 5/5/13
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

An idea on whether you have a regular menstrual cycle or not is an important consideration, and also if you had risky or unprotected sex during your fertile period of your menstrual cycle.
It is true that lack of periods or delayed periods in a female of reproductive age deserves a formal exclusion of a pregnancy. However, pregnancy results would only becomes positive after at least seven days after fertilization and implantation have occurred. It is therefore possible, this could be a very early pregnancy. It is advisable to retake a good pregnancy test in a good health facility, preferably the blood beta HCG test which is very sensitive to be sure whether it is possible or negative.

It is worth noting that females between the ages of 18 and 25 could experience some delays, or at times even absence of periods. This could be linked to some stress or physiological environmental changes. It is not because you have a delay that it is absolutely a pregnancy.

However, it is always reasonable to think of a pregnancy first. I therefore suggest you retake the test in week s time, in a proper health facility, and preferably a beta HCG test. It is very possible that its simply a delay in periods which of course is not rare within this age group. In case you do not see you periods, control the pregnancy test in a week and see your doctor for advice.

Thanks and hope this helps. Will be honored answering any further worries if need be. feel very free.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.