Large vertical lump protrudes from stomach while exercising from sternum to belly button. Is it hernia ?

Question
I have a personal trainer. I discovered that when I am lying on my back and either start to do a sit-up or leg lift, a large vertical lump protrudes from my stomach. It is about 6" long, and starts at the sternum and goes down to the belly button. It is longer then it is wide (2" wide). I am 57 years old, 6'2" tall, 215 lbs, and do have a "beer belly". I believe this to be a hernia, but am not sure. Am I correct? If so, what type? It is fairly spongy, does not hurt, and dieappears when I take the strain off of my abdomen.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Yes you may be right.Hernia is a possibility here.The signs are typical of hernia but only an examination can confirm that.The type would depend on the examinations and also upon your history.May be umbilical or incisional hernia if you have had any abdominal surgery.You should see your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.Surgery will be required in such a case.