Large stomach area above navel is hard. Any natural reason? No pain or discomfort

General Surgeon
My second visit. The first proved you were professional and knowledgeable. I am very much into natural
medicine or better yet, no medicine at all. I still am able to benefit from a medical doctor who has a better knowledge of the human body than I do. I also shy away from testing and treatment. My question is, can you tell me if a large stomach area left side and slightly above the navel would have any natural reason to be very hard? I've had it for years with no pain or problems; but am still puzzled at to what it could be. I'm thinking along the lines of muscluar or something like that. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, there can be some hard are. In thin people, in the are you have mentioned there can be sensed sigmoid colon with hard-in-touch stool. As long as there is no tumor like area, this is quite normal. Such sigmoid colon is usually movable and do not ache at all. So if you are thin person most likely that is what you are sensing.
There is a possibility that such hard area can be also caused by strong muscle, but this would be sensed also on the other side.
However it is advisable to have at least abdomen ultrasound from time to time and colonoscopy once per 10 years in persons above 50 years. If you suffer from constipations and/or blood in stool you should have this tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.