Large painful lump on ear. What is the cause and cure?

my husband has a goiter like lump by his ear. It is getting quite large, very painful and weeps. Can you please advise what it is and what it might be caused by?
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The lump may be an abscess (collection of pus in a confined space) or a cyst , for example a sebaceous cyst (these are cysts whose origin are the glands within the skin).
Both of these require surgical treatment which normally involves incision and drainage (for the abscess) and excision (for the cyst).In addition antibiotics would be given.
It would be best, if possible, for you husband to visit his doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions