Large bump on the base of head that is tender and sensitive to touch, have severe neck and back pain. Any ideas?

My boyfriend and I just noticed a large bump on the back right side base of his head. Looks as if he bumped his head on something. It is not warm, discolored or changing in size. It's about the size of a golf ball. Tender and sensitive to the touch. He suffers from extreme neck and back pain and we are worried that it has not gone away; going on the second week. No other lumps or bumps on his neck or head. I've read about someone with shingles and another with swollen lymphnodes, but I really don't think that's it. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 43 minutes later
Thanks for your query

From your description of the lesion, I think your friend is having tender cervical lymphadenitis

Such lymph node swellings can involve any group of cervical lymph nodes although according to the site that you have mentioned, the posterior cervical or occipital lymph nodes seem to be involved in your case.

Cervical lymphadenitis can occur due to various causes. I would like to know if your friend has any upper cold and cough or there is any tooth pain or dental infection or any other infection in the oral cavity.
Scalp lesions in the form of dandruff or any pus filled lesions over scalp can also lead to occipital lymphadenitis.
In other uncommon causes, any infection in cervical glands can lead to such lymphadenitis.
Usually such lymph node swellings resolves on treatment of the primary infection.
I would like to know if there is history of any of the above conditions. Also it would be helpful if you can send me the pictures of the same so that I can see the exact site and the condition of the overlying skin.

From the description, I do not think that these lesions are that of shingles although I can help you more once you send me the pictures

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul