Large blisters on foot. Pierced the blisters. Applying anti fungal cream and hydro cortisone cream. Is it the right treatment?

I got many small blisters on the sole of my right foot. The blisters combined to be several very large blisters. Since the blisters interfere walking, I pierced three large blisters. I've been applying antifungal cream and hydrocortisone cream. Am I doing the right things?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 36 minutes later

Thanks for the picture you sent.

I need some more details to guide you better.
1. Are these blisters seen only over right foot?
2. Is it itchy ?
3. Do you have any itching and small vesicles over hands ?
4. How long you have been having this ?

The possibilities that I am considering are Podo pompholyx and Vesiculobullous Tinea pedis. One is an eczema, other is a fungal infection.

Kindly get back with the above details.

Follow-up: Large blisters on foot. Pierced the blisters. Applying anti fungal cream and hydro cortisone cream. Is it the right treatment? 5 hours later
Hi Doctor,

1. Yes, these blisters are only seen on right foot.
2. It was itchy when they were still small. Now I feel a bit pain and burning sensation.
3. No, only on right foot.
4. About two weeks. Started with small, itchy, and deep-seated vesicles.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Hello, Welcome back.

Clinically as well as from history it looks like you are having vesiculo bullous tinea pedis (Athlete's foot)
Pompholyx is usually bilateral and should subside or get infected by 2 weeks time.

Unlike common variety of athlete's foot, this type requires oral antifungals along with topical treatment. Therefore, I will recommend you to consult a dermatologist for initiation of treatment.
Hydrocortisone cream is not good for infection. Please stop applying it.
Hope this helped.