Laproscopy,drained cyst,positive home pregnancy test

Last Thursday I had a laperoscopy done to drain a cyst I took a home pregnancy test today and it said positive but it was faint. Could it be a false positive
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 28 minutes later

If the test showed two lines,even if one was faint,it usually means faintly positive. If you had unprotected sexual intercourse in the last 2 months then you have cause for concern. Ideally a pregnancy should have been ruled out before surgery was done. I cannot comment about that now. If you are using mirena,its important to find out if the device still is in place or not.
If you have missed a period, then definitely pregnancy might be a possibility.
For now,here's what to do:
1.If you have just missed a period,or its due,then wait few days and repeat the test.
2.If the test shows positive again,then there is a high possibility that you are pregnant.
3.In this case,you need an ultrasound immediately to find the mirena(if its still in use)and also to confirm pregnancy.
4.If the second test is negative,then its probably a false positive.

Hope I answered your question. I will be available for your follow ups.