Laproscopic appendectomy done. Feeling pain in stomach, bloated, nauseated and constipated. Is this normal?

had a laproscopic appendectomy done on saturday. My upper stomache hurts, I feel very bloated, nauseated and have not been able to have a bowl movement. I took a ducolax early this morning and still nothing. I feel extremely weak and sleep constantly. Is this normal?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for using the XXXXXXX

Symptoms like bloating, nausea and not been able to have a bowl movement are acceptable on the post operative period for upto 2 days.

Whether you passed flatus. that is the most important sign of starting your bowel movement. If not it is not acceptable for 4th day. If you had passed flatus then all these symptoms are acceptable.

Second thing I want to know which medications you are taking.
Nausea may also occur due to opioid analgesic. This opioid analgesics may also leads to decreased bowel movement

There may be chance of intestinal injury also for your symptoms.

Consult your surgeon if there is complete loss of bowel movement with increasing severity of pain abdomen, nausea and bloating and get investigated done and get treated for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks get well soon....

Dr Vidya KR