Laparoscopy done for endometriosis. On Lupride. Planning for IVF. Delayed periods. Medication side effect?

Question
My wife under gone laproscopy on 02 Feb 12 for Endometriosis and she is on lupride depot 11.25 MG on 04 FEB 2012, she is supposed to get menstrual cycle/periods after three months, I guess we are now in fourth month and she hasn't got her cycle back. We are planning for IVF (soon) and any idea why she hasn't got her cycle back, I need to contact the gynic now or wait for couple of more deays? and how to get the cycles back. Is this a known side effect?
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your wife was prescribed Lupride depot 11.25 by her Gynecologist to treat endometriosis.

It can be given for 3 to 6 months. Thus 2nd dose could be given on 4th May, 2012.

Menstrual period occurs 14 days after ovulation. She is not getting her periods probably due to non ovulation. She might require ovulation inducing drug like clomiphen.

It is not known side effect of Lupride depot.

You should consult her Gynecologist, as she might require 2nd dose depending upon present condition of endometriosis.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have further query, please feel free to ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer & rate it.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Laparoscopy done for endometriosis. On Lupride. Planning for IVF. Delayed periods. Medication side effect? 1 hour later
sir, She was given a dosage for 3 months only, as 11.25 MG is supposed to be for three months . My question was she hasn't got her cycle back. I am not looking for second dosage so 4th may 2012 ruled out.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Welcome again,

She hasn't got her cycle back, as ovulation is not taking place.

Follicular study is recommended.

Clomiphen can be given to her, to induce ovulation.

Whether she requires 2nd dose or not depends upon how much cure has been achieved from endometriosis, thus it will be decided by her Gynecologist.

For IVF menstrual period is not required. Ovulation is generally induced by clomiphen, mature egg is taken out from ovary and fertilized with sperm out side and zygote thus formed is implanted inside uterus. If endometriosis is not cured, it may interfere with implantation.

Thus you need not to wait for menstrual period. Please consult your Gynecologist.

Hope, you will be satisfied with the answer. If you have further query, please feel free to ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer & rate it.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Laparoscopy done for endometriosis. On Lupride. Planning for IVF. Delayed periods. Medication side effect? 12 hours later
Thanks for your detailed explanation on IVF process vs periods vs ovaluation.

One last questions: "Ovulation is generally induced by clomiphen"..is this also a time taking process or one dosage is enough? just trying to understand how much time/duration it will take for this.

Also is "clomiphen" treatment costly like "Lupride depot "?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 50 minutes later

Welcome again,

Three courses of clomifene therapy are generally sufficient, but up to six courses can be given.

Initially, 5mg of it is given for 5 days. If ovulation doesn't occur with first course, 100mg of clomifene can be given for 5 days. If ovulation doesn't occur with 2nd course, it can be given for 30 days.

Clomifene treatment is not that costly. The cost of 5 tablets of Fertomid-100mg is about Rs.55 only.

With good wishes,