Laparoscopy done. Prescribed medicine for runny nose, fever and cough. Feeling sore in breast, pelvic area

I just had laparoscopy done on 21 Mar 2013 and 1st review with my doctor on wound healing is fine and stitches removed on 5 Apr 2013.
However, I was down with flu. fever at 38 deg C, runny nose and cough since yesterday. my family physician just prescribed medicine for runny nose, fever and cough without antibiotics as I told him I had 2 rounds of antibiotics after my laparoscopic surgery.
Is my fever and flu an indication of infection or it is just normal flu? Will it affect my recovery from the laparoscopy? As when I had my fever, my pelvic area and lower back was feeling bit sore and breast having sore and pain a couple of times. Today is 16th day from last menses.
My fever seemed to have subsided after taking the medicine.

Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I went through the details submitted and my comments are as follows:

1. Your symptoms of runny nose, fever and cough are more likely because of viral infection of upper respiratory tract.

Do you have any sputum production or is it only dry cough?If yes,what is the color of sputum?

If you don't cough out sputum then you need not take any antibiotic at present - It is just the viral infection. A course of antibiotic is recommended if there is greenish or yellowish sputum.

2. Usually wound healing is almost complete by 15-20 days; hence these symptoms or infection will not affect your recovery from laproscopic surgery.

Continue the treatment that your family physician has advised.

Hope this solves your query. Let me know if you need clarifications

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Laparoscopy done. Prescribed medicine for runny nose, fever and cough. Feeling sore in breast, pelvic area 18 hours later

Thank you for the clarification.
My sputum was clear but this morning it was bit yellow. I will continue to monitor.
I was actually trying to conceive until my doctor found that I had endometriosis with an ovarian cyst in the right ovary and a blocked left fallopian tube that could have reduced the chances of getting pregnant.
I did not had any abortion history or similar cases. But he did mention that having high fever may have caused the fallopian tube to be blocked due to infection.

Can I check what is the symptom of this kind of infection?
As for day before yesterday and yesterday when I had my fever, I can feel intermittent pain on my left pelvic area. But am not sure whether is it due to ovulation period or due to the fever.

Appreciate the advice.

Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 5 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Pelvic pain,infertility and blocked fallopian tubes are usual findings in endometriosis. And infertility can be related to scar formation,fallopion tube blockage and anatomical distortions due to the endometriosis.
Besides that pelvic infection which presents as fever can also cause similar sequelae.

However not all acute episodes of fever cause fallopian tube blockage. The current symptoms are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection and will not cause fallopian tube blocks/infertility.

Hence treating endometriosis will solve your most of the problems. NSAIDS can relieve pelvic pain. Hormone replacement and ovulation stimulating drugs can help in regaining fertility.

Hope this solves your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.