Laparoscopic marsupididizaion of lymphocyte, prostrate surgery. Nerve sparing possible ?

I am scheduled to have laparoscopic marsupididizaion of lymphocete from a complication of prostate surgery, i was told that the surgery was nerve sparing but have not been sucessful at all with that, after this surgery is it possible that i would be?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The recovery from nerve injury is possible if the treatment is started early.

It depends on the extent of injury also.

If a nerve injury is found, usually steroids are given to reduce the swelling and inflammation around the nerve and in most of the cases it works. In some cases, TENS - Transcutaneous nerve stimulation is also helpful in returning the nerve function.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Laparoscopic marsupididizaion of lymphocyte, prostrate surgery. Nerve sparing possible ? 13 hours later
i had prostate cancer in 2009, the prostate was removed. i was told that the nerves was spared and i would not lose the abililty to perform sex. I have not been able to have sex since the surgery. I have been given the prescription for viagra and also the one you insert in your penis neither helped. Now I have been found to have a large sac of lymphonic fluid near by bladder as a complication to the surgery. I am scheduled to go in and have it surgically removed next week. My question is, would there be anything that this fluid buildup has done that created the ED and is there anything that during this surgery that could be done that could correct this ED? Or am I just wishful thinking I am still a young man, 55 with a younger wife that enjoyed that part of our life. thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Recovery from nerve injuries depend on the severity and extent of nerve damage. It also to great extent influenced by the time duration since injury. Nerve injuries that occurred two years ago that too due to a cancer surgery is less likely to recover after such a long time.

Collection of lymphatic fluid is more likely to have developed recently and not for last two years.
Now the drainage of this fluid buildup is less likely to help you either.

The best assessment of this situation can still be done by your operating surgeon with whom you can discuss this matter.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.