Laparoscopic hysterectomy done. Getting loose greenish stool. Should I be concerned?

should i be concerned about somewhat loose brightish XXXXXXX stool that has lasted for three days now and i'm three weeks out from a laperscopic hysterectomy
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Greenish stools is not a serious condition unless it is couples with signs of infection like fever and abdominal pain.Where the cause could be an infection needing to be treated with antibiotics.

If you do not have any of the features of infection then there would be no need to worry even when you are posted for a major surgery.

Such XXXXXXX stools occur when there is increased content of sugar in the stool or due to shortened bowel transit time which both are not serious and do not cause any trouble.

Taking fibre XXXXXXX and low carbohydrate food will solve the issue.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Laparoscopic hysterectomy done. Getting loose greenish stool. Should I be concerned? 15 hours later
just to be clear i wanted to say that i was stating in my original question that i HAD my hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. so this has happened since surgery. and i do still have some pain so how do i know if its post op pain or infection
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

My sincere apologies for having a part of query taken wrong about the hysterectomy.

The shortened transit time in the intestines could also be a complication of the surgery you had, this has its effect through the irritation to the nerves supplying the intestines.

As I already mentioned , fever is one of reliable indicator of infection.If you do not have fever then a detailed examination alone will be able to ascertain the absence of infection.

Wish you good health.