Laparoscopic abdominal surgery, wound infection, lymphoma

surgical belly button wound infection and crp of 18
I have had a problem with a surgical belly button healing. I had emergency surgery on 24th October 2011 done laproscopic with three wound sites. The other tow sites healed but my belly button healed. I had swabs taken which showed coliform and had been on 4 different antibiotics. I then got sent for a CT scan which showed I had an umbilical hernia so got operated on the 19th December to sort wound out and repair hernia which was only done through belly button. On Christmas Eve it re-opened an swap showed staph areus and coliform so was put on oral antibiotics which didn't work so was admitted for IV antibiotics which closed the wound but after getting home from hospital it re-opened and was put on oral antibiotics which did nothing. My gynaecologist consultant who had done the operations didn't know what to do so I got referred to a general surgeon who took a swab and I am having a MRI scan. I saw my G.P today as I am really not feeling well. My gynaecologist took some bloods done on the 12th January which showed my CRP was 18mg/l and my eosinophils are elevated but in december when I had bloods done everything was normal as far as I know. I am getting checked out for lymphoma and see my haematologist next Monday but am wondering is the crp from my wound infection or if I have lymphoma could it possible to do with that. I have had my crp tested loads of time and the highest it has ever gone up is to 3mg/l and I have also had this wound infection since Oct so why has it taken my crp to go up so slowly when it was normal in December.

I would really appreciate your help
Kind Regards
Irishgirl aka XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 minutes later

It is unfortunate that you are having persistent wound infection for such a long time. But I don't really know why you are thinking about lymphoma, as a high CRP and eosinophil really DO NOT indicate a lymphoma.

The high CRP level in you is most likely because of the wound infection. CRP levels are not elevated at all times and not during all infections - That explains why it went up now but not earlier.

You also had MRI scans. If that is normal, then possibility of lymphoma is negligible.
I would not consider Lymphoma as a close possibility in you even if your MRI were to be abnormal. So do not worry. “Lymphoma is a far-fetched diagnosis in you”.

I would suggest you to visit your hematologist to evaluate for the cause of high CRP if they do not reduce despite complete recovery.

Hope my answer is helpful and assuring.

Wish you good and speedy recovery.

Best wishes