Lap hysterectomy done. Started getting stomach pain after few days. Worried for UTI?

Mar 2013
I underwent a lap hysterectomy taking only uterus, and then returned for another lap surgery, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, two weeks later. They identified atypical cell growth on my uterus and discovered the same to be true on my ovaries and tubes. So everything out, biopsied lots inside, no worries with cancer growth, moving forward, follow up every three months for eight years. I am at six weeks now post-op. This morning when I woke up I had immediate stomach tenderness. When I urinated I felt all kinds of stomach pain around the region of my belly button, more than lower. It "stung" in that abdominal belly region for about ten minutes. It's been that way all day and I'm noticing the pain continues to increase. I'm getting a bit worried now. Does this sound like a simple UTI or something as result of my surgeries? I thought a UTI was more painful in the region of my urethra, not radiating pain around my belly that lasts for some time. I know it can't be a bowel obstruction because I am regular, although painful with that also, as of today. I plan to see my ob tomorrow but just wanting to hear your perspective based on my presenting symptoms. Also, what kind of labs or procedures do you think they will do based on my symptoms but also recent surgeries. I am highly sensitive now to everything in my body but this is an "8" on the scale pain when it's activated with urination or other.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
It does sound like a UTI - lower urinary tract infection, limited to the urethra and bladder, pain radiates to the that area.
An upper urinary tract infection ,involving the upper part of the bladder, the ureter or the kidneys, would radiate to the area you have described.
Based on your symptoms, they would order a complete urine examination - urine routine and microscopic examination, complete urine culture, and imaging of the urinary Tract and kidneys.
Also, it would help me to know what was the histopathological report of your previous surgeries.
You would need a Pap smear of the vaginal vault, if the cervix is removed.
Apart from that, routine blood work, hormonal levels as your ovaries are removed, thyroid levels and blood sugars as they should be routinely done.
You could have your calcium and vitamin D levels assessed, as post hysterectomy, they frequently fall and might need supplementation.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Lap hysterectomy done. Started getting stomach pain after few days. Worried for UTI? 22 minutes later
Thank you so much for explaining what my symptoms sound like and treatment to expect for a UTI. The pathological report is pages which I can scan and upload if needed but in a nutshell my gyn oncologist said that what he found were borderline tumors and so no treatment was necessary because he took everything out. He seemed very positive about the results but eight years of close observation. I've had no blood work or labs since my surgery and so perhaps they can run a panel tomorrow... Its made me uncomfortable that my oncologist didnt run a CA-125 post op. Is it out of the question to ask them to run a CBC tomorrow? Maybe overkill for a UTI.
You could just scan the last page which would show the inference, not the entire description.
Only then would I be able to tell if a CA 125 was in order.
Merely a CBC would give you hardly any idea.
You need to get everything that I described done, particularly the urine analysis and imaging.