Lap band removed, distended oesphagus, vomitting, swelling while eating. What can be the reason?

Infertility Specialist
My wife had a Lap Band put in about two years ago but recently had to have it removed as her oesphagus became distended and she was not able to eat without vomiting.
She has had the Lap Band out now for three months but the symptoms of swelling when she eats, feeling sick after eating and vomiting is still continuing. What could be going on?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

After band removal, sometimes the area which was tightened by the band may be injured and undergo some scarring resulting in possible inflammation and fibrosis around the band area. I think this may be the reason your wife is persisting to have these symptoms.

Small frequent meals instead of heavy irregular meals may reduce the symptoms to some extent.

I also suggest you visit a gastroenterologist for a careful examination. Some relevant investigations such as liver function test and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy may be needed. An endoscopy can visualize the inside of the stomach to look if there is any damage that can be rectified.

So do consult an endocrinologist if you haven't seen one yet.

I hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol