Laminectomy and discectomy done. Having lower back pain and bladder problem. Is this serious?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a laminectomy/discectomy at L5-S1 in 2009. It seemed to help for a short time but for the past year I've been in a lot of pain in my lower back. Had an MRI late 2012 with results showing disk degeneration and narrowing of T12-L1, L1-2 and L5-S1. There's a 4mm (AP) central leftward protrusion with mild to moderate left lateral recess stenoisis. Also on the L1-2 there's a 2-3 mm posterior leftward protrusion indenting the thecal sac with central canal stenosis. Several other things mentioned as well. I have extrusiating pain in my tailbone, buttocks and lower back. When I sit, I'm in pain and even worse when I try to get up. In addition, it hurts to do just about anything. I've also recently found that I'm having trouble controlling my bladder. I just can't hold it in. I'm 51 years old, 5'9" and weigh 135 pounds. Does this sound serious and is there really anything that can be done to fix it or is it just aging?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your MRI report suggestive of spinal stenosis. Your bladder involvement and severe excruciating pain suggestive of more severe involvement and pressure on the spinal cord and cauda equina. You might need surgical decompression to reieve pressure over spinal cord. I suggest you to get a new MRI done and consult spinal surgeon for thorough examination and appropriate management.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.