Lam with chylothorax, thoracic duct ligation, removed pleura, leaking after surgery

I have Lam with chylothorax. I had a thoracic duct ligation and the removal of my pleura to stop the chylothorax. Two days after surgery, the leaking continued significantly. Why did this happen?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 hours later

The procedure of the thoracic duct ligation is found to be efficient method to prevent further chylothrox, though leaking is rare.

Most of the times the reason for leaking is unexplained, hence it is suggested for religation of the thoracic duct if the chyle is more than 500 to 1000ml / day. Hence do not waste time and see the treating surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.

Follow-up: Lam with chylothorax, thoracic duct ligation, removed pleura, leaking after surgery 33 hours later
Currently, the physician has me on TPN with no food or drink; however, the leak still persists, and I am losing 800 ml a day. Should I consider a religation or should I give the TPN and no food at least two weeks to work?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

Thanks for your reply

As a physician , I would be comfortable on deciding the option of re ligation only after examining you and checking the other parameters including the investigations.However I feel a loss of 800 ml is significant for which immediate intervention is needed. It is solely up to your Surgeon to decide if you would need a re ligation or not, weighing the benefits and the risks.

However you can consider discussing re ligation with him.

Wish you good health.