Lactose intolerant, tried switching to soya milk. Get sore throat and diarrhea. Suggest?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi Doctor
I know that I'm lactose intolerant so I tried switching to Soy milk. Whenever I drink it though I get a really bad sore throat and diarrhea. Which makes me think i'm allergic to soy but I have no reaction to soy in anything else. Do I just have a slight allergy to soy or would it be something else? Also is this something that I need to be worried about or should I just not drink soy milk?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX com .
You might be suffering from soy milk allergy.
Its better not to take soy milk because you do get sore throat and diarrhoea everytime you have it.
Maybe the milk extract alone is allergic , if other forms of soy are tolerated, you can continue them.
Wishing you good health
Dr Arun