Lack of immunity, fever, congestion, coughing, stomach pain, on mortin medication. Causes ?

My daughter is 3 and 1/2 and just started preschool 6 weeks ago, she is sick for the third time in 6 weeks, is this normal?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Initial days of schooling are definitely difficult for a child. These do lead to emotional insecurity and loneliness in children but does not precipitate organic illnesses.

Repeated bouts of illnesses indicates viral illnesses which the child gets from her classmates.

You need to increase the child's XXXXXXX immunity by giving her a healthy and nutritious diet, plenty of fluids, encourage her for exercise outdoors, exposure to sun and vitamin C supplements.

Check out if she is in contact with friends or someone in school who has repeated infections. Wash her hands thoroughly and frequently and maintain a good hygeine.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Lack of immunity, fever, congestion, coughing, stomach pain, on mortin medication. Causes ? 53 minutes later
We try to feed her healthy and keep exercize a part of her routine. I don't believe that her preschool is doing a good job of making the kids wash their hands before snack time and after outdoor playtime though. I began getting concerned that she has a problem with her immunity, but also know that kids get sick a lot when they first start school. Two of the three illness have been accompanied by fever, the current illness began on Thursday with a fever, which went down with motrin, she then had a fever again Saturday and has had a fever all day today. She is very pale, congested, coughing and complaining of a stomach ache. I worry that it is something more than just the first year of preschool illnesses. Is this pretty common in kids just starting school?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

What your daughter is going through is a common occurrence and is a mild viral infection.

Enhancing her immunity will decrease such episodes.

Do ask her to frequently wash her hands before meals in school too.

Give her healthy nutritious meals and provide her boiled drinking water so that she doesn't drink water from school.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing your daughter a trouble free speedy recovery.