Lack of concentration issues, not able to communicate doctor properly. What should i do?

Infertility Specialist
Age: 29 years
Height: 6'0
Weight: 108 Kgs

I am facing concentration issues and I strongly suspect I know what the problem is. However, I am not able to communicate the same to my doctor. In the process of doing so I keep losing track! If I tell the doctor that I have an issue I get the feeling it would be too self-serving! What do I do?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later

Many of us go through such phases in life. We have to take professional help for the same. I am glad you did.

Now please give me more information about your problems, which will help me to address it.

1) If you know the exact problem, why don't you let me know, so that I can counsel you?

2) Since when you are facing loss of concentration?

3) What do you exactly mean by self serving?

4) Do you exercise regularly?

5) Have you tried yoga / meditation?

Please get back to me with answers, so that I can help more effectively.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Lack of concentration issues, not able to communicate doctor properly. What should i do? 1 hour later
I think I am suffering from ADHD

I dont exercise regularly as I am almost unable to form habits and have highly irregular sleep. I find sleep boring and most other things in life boring

I am facing a lack of concentration since nearly a decade now. It wasnt a big problem earlier but now its really getting to me

I try to meditate and try to relax to keep a stable mind but its very difficult

I feel like I am losing control of my life practically and I am consulting a psychiatrist but everytime I talk to her I keep shifting topics and land up talking about my emotional problems and it becomes difficult for her to take me seriously!

Somehow I have come to avoid the problem and be XXXXXXX about it! I keep searching for instant relief only to know its not coming. I have tried a lot of things but most of them dont seem to work including meditation and exerting myself through exercise!

The most difficult issues are concentration, impulsivity and finding something interesting to stick to something

I get this other peculiar symptom where sometimes while working on something I get so intensely involved I forget the rest of the world literally when I get engrossed into it. In the sense I feel like I have lost consciousness and I practically forget my surrounding and for a few seconds I have to remind myself what I am doing/ who I am/ what is my age/ what is my schedule / what is the time/ This especially happens during late nights! Once a friend had told me it was some hypnagogic reaction or something (something which happens after the reaction of a drug wanes out).

Sometimes (during night especially when there is the bright light of a tubelight) I feel like I am straining my eyes or (I am staring too much) or like I am scared of a perfect vision - dont know how to explain it.

So far I have considered the possibility of comorbid issues and some doctors have told me I have a personality issue but it becomes very difficult to stay consistent with a doctor and again if I talk about any of my issues all sorts of terms come up but the thing is I have been trying to fight my issues for so long its difficult not to talk about those terms as it would expediate the process of recovery!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

First of all, let me tell you your self diagnosis of ADHD is wrong. ADHD people are svery active unlike you. You say if you grossly involve in something, you forget whole world and get involved. That means you dont have attention problem. That is a good sign and its normal.

People with true attention deficit can't concentrate on anything. If anyone stares at a bright light like tubelight, eyes will surely strain. It is also normal.

The problem is lack of excercise and your body weight. Just straining is not excercise. Please take up regular excerciseregimen in gym under a trained instructor.

Exercise wil help you to loose weight, feel lighter, improves sense of well being, gives you good sleep, will take away your boredom, releases endorphins in brain which will elevate your mood.

Symptoms you have mentioned are normal and many people experience it. So please stop thinking negatively. You are a normal young man with little excess weight. You have to be regular with exercise.

You will be different man after 6 months. If bored, please indulge in a sport you like. If no interest, start playing, you will love sports. You are normal.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Please feel free to write back if you have any more concerns.

If you have no further queries, please accept my answer.

Wishing you a happy life.