Lack of concentration and memory. Do I have ADHD?

I have been suffering from lack of concentration and memory for more than 25 years. Allthough I managed to be a very brilliant person in subjects like Physics and Computer Programing I still believe that I have something wrong. Some doctors think that Iam a ADHD, others believe That it couldn't be.
Iam ready to do what ever I can to get a clear diagnosis of my difficalty.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Lack of concentration and difficulty in remembering things for 25 years can be because of one of reasons in your case (in order of preference):
•     Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): need in person detail assessment
•     Dysthymia: in presence of low mood
•     Anxiety disorder: In presence of anxiety, excessive worry, tremors, sleep difficulty and palpitations.
•     Vitamin deficiency like deficiency of vitamin B12 which is commonly seen in vegans.

But before considering any psychiatric diagnosis and starting treatment, the patient should have socio-occupational dysfunction which appears to be absent in your case. Currently, the diagnosis of adult ADHD is also being debated considering that individuals may have a normal variation in their concentration and memory like intelligence.

In psychiatry, the diagnosis is made in the presence of a cluster of symptoms. Diagnosis helps in planning treatment and also helps us predict prognosis in a case. In my opinion, if you do not have other symptoms and your socio occupational functioning remains unaffected, then you don’t need to worry. The whole emphasis should lie on managing your life successfully with your current level of concentration and memory which you have been doing for 25 years.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.