Laceration on left hand, chronic nerve damage. Taking tramadol six times a day. How can I discontinue it and prevent withdrawal symptoms?

I am durrently taking 1 50mg Tramadol 6 times per day due to a severe laceration to my left hand which resulted in chronic nerve damage. What is the best, safest and most cost-effective method for getting off of them without major long term withdrawal effects. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Laceration on left hand, chronic nerve damage. Taking tramadol six times a day. How can I discontinue it and prevent withdrawal symptoms? 4 minutes later
I wanted to clarify that While I am concerned about withdrawal effects from quitting the Tramadol at once, I do not classify myself as a drug abuser.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 42 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     55 year old male
•     Known case of regular tramadol use 300mg per day to relieve pain of hand injury
•     Concern related to addiction and withdrawal symptoms

The term drug abuse is used when a person uses some drug beyond the prescribed doses and duration by physician.

Withdrawal symptoms of tramadol vary according to drug doses, person to person and duration of drug use. Tramadol is an opioid and has severe withdrawal like pain, sialorrhoea, lacrimation, anxiety, insomnia and diarrhoea on sudden stoppage.

To prevent withdrawal gradual tapering of substance is beneficial. You reduce tramadol 1 tablet every 5th day. With this, there will no or minimal withdrawal and you can stop tramadol over a period of 30-40 days.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.