Labyrinthitus, taking Prochlorperazine. Are there some precautions that I can take for the flight?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have begun to experience labyrinthitus over the last 10 days and have a flight booked to Lanzarote tomorrow. Are there some precautions that I can take for the flight to minimise the symtoms during the flight? My Dr has not suggested anything. The medication I'm taking is Prochlorperazine maleate 5mg.

Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 51 minutes later

The symptoms of “Labyrinthine disorders” like vertigo, tinnitus may be worsened by barotrauma that can occur during air travel.

The precautions you need to take are,
1. Prevent dehydration on a plane by drinking water or juice. Limit alcohol and caffeine intake.
2. With your lips closed, gently blow air as if to blow a kiss/blowing a balloon but don't release the air. After a few seconds, exhale. Yawning, chewing gum and swallowing are also helpful. This can be done especially during takeoff and landing to equalise pressure.
3. You may take any prescribed labyrinthine sedative as per your doctor’s advice, half an hour before the flight.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other queries. Feel free to write back should you have any other concerns. I will be available to address them.