Labs show high liver enzyme, hepatitis test negative. Scheduled for bone scan. Reason?

I recently had blood work don't and found out I have a high liver enzyme. I then had additional blood work done for a hepatitis and it came out all negative. Now my doctor is scheduling me for a bone scan. why?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Joe Antony 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The high liver enzymes could indicate more serious conditions like primary or secondary involvement of the liver, due to diseases like cancer.

Hence, your doctor might have asked for a bone scan. However, bone scan should be done after simpler and common tests like an ultrasound scan of the abdomen. Bone scan should be used to diagnose a major disease of the bones and is a 2nd level scan.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Joe Antony, MD, consultant Radiologist.