Labile hypertension, taken Metopolol, Losartan, BP fluctuation during menstruation

my wife has detected labile hypertension since last three months, it was detected to know after severe htn attack in july that it was labile htn, it may be persist since long time. our phycisian has performed all related tests like 24 hrs. urine catcholamine, 2d echo, trop-1, x-ray, sonography, colour doppler of kidney arterial system and all gynac tests e.g. everything is found normal. now medicines in use are METOPOLOL 50 extended release & LOSARTAN 25 mg. in morning and LOSARTAN 50 & revotril 50 in evening. now by the time it is observed that BP fluctuations are high during menses period. please advise me whom to consult for further investigation or treatment..... cardiologist, endocrinologist or gynac, please advice me
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

Labile hypertension is a problem that is difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to treat specially when causative factor is not known.

In your wife's case, since all her blood tests and other investigations are normal, repeated blood pressure measurements throughout the day can only help in detecting the precipitating factors.

The association of higher readings of B.P. during menstruation means the fluctuations are related to hormonal changes in the body. An endocrinologist will be the best person to advise and guide you regarding any further investigations that are required.

Stress management, anxiety control sessions, reduction of caffeine, salt and fat intake in your diet, weight loss motivation and an increase in regular exercise are all the measures necessary to contain the problem.

24 hour continuous B.P. monitoring with a portable monitor is usually recommended to figure out the dosage schedule of anti hypertensive medicines.

A visit to an endocrinologist will help you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Labile hypertension, taken Metopolol, Losartan, BP fluctuation during menstruation 3 days later
thank you for you answer,

your answer is very helpful, we measure b.p. regularly using omron bp monitor, BP fluctuation starts two days before period and persists post three to four days.

In past history ---- she had generalised edema since last six to seven years, which frequently observed around and after menses period.
During regular check up last two days before our doctor found two fibroid tumers in uteres in sonography tests, sonography report is attached herewith. During menses she feels some heavy periods and low back pain. our doctor have advised us to remove uteres.
so my further question is to remove it or not, and after removal B.P. fluctuation could become normal or not?, please advise us, we will be very thankful to you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

It is difficult to say that after Uterus removal, blood pressure will come back to normal. Removal of the ovaries along with might help. High Blood Pressure can also cause increased bleeding during periods.

Wishing you an early recovery.