Labial macula removed from lower lip. Biopsy negative. Tingling in lower lip and chin. Symptoms subside on taking Xanax

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I had a labial macula (freckle) cut out a few weeks ago from my lower lip. The biopsy was negative, and it seemed to heal ok. However, as it healed, I began to get tingling in my lower lip and chin.. Occasionally into my nose and cheeks. Xanax seems to make it mostly subside. I read about numb chin syndrome and got very scared. However I have more tingling, and it's not confined to my chin.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
The tingling you are having after the lip surgery is likely to be due to minor nerve damage in the area or related to anxiety as the symptoms subside on taking Xanax.
Such minor tingling usually subsides spontaneously without any treatment in 2-3 weeks.
Taking Vitamin B complex supplements are sometimes helpful in an early recovery.
If the tingling is gradually spreading then consulting a neurologist to rule out any neurological deficit will be helpful.
Meanwhile restrict caffeine and alcohol use.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.