Labia majora is red, swollen and painful. No itching. What could be the cause?

i am 5 months pregnant and my lower right labia majora is red ,swollen and painful with no itch .what could be the cause and treatment .Please suggest . thanks .
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 34 minutes later

Appearance of red, swollen and painful labia can be a sign of bacterial infection. As pregnancy is associated with reduced immunity and water retention, you are susceptible to various infections.

The symptoms concern me and I would advise you to consult a gynecologist at the earliest. Antibiotic therapy with safer drugs like amoxicillin is entailed. I would also suggest you to get your blood sugars tested to rule out gestational diabetes.

I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Labia majora is red, swollen and painful. No itching. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
Can you suggest some ointment for releiving the pain and swelling ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later

Thanks again for following up.

You may use Ointment Neosporin for local application. It can be applied thrice a day for at least 7 days.

Wipe clean the remnant by a clean cotton/dry cloth before next application.

In addition anti-inflammatory analgesic such as calpol 500mg tablet three times a day for 3-5 days will give added benefits.

I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.