Labia majora began to itch, scratched it and injured. Hurts to pee or do any activity. Advise?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My labia majora began to itch, unknowingly I scratched it and now I've created and open sure at the bottom of my labia majora. It hurts to pee, walk, or do any activity. It's been like this for two days, how can I get this sore to heal?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for ousting your query.
Yes it's most probably a scratch induced injury to the mucosa (or delicate genital skin). It usually resolves on its own within a week or two. However it's very painful to have an injury at such a sensitive region. Another possibility to rule out is the presence of an infected wound( any pus discharge or swelling etc) which usually takes longer time to heal.
It's always best to get yourself evaluated by your doctor to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate medications like analgesics for the pain and antibiotics only if needed.
Meanwhile the most important thing is to keep the region clean and as dry as possible . Local application of ointments / gels containing anaesthetics ( lignocaine 2%) can temporarily subside the pain and discomfort .
A topical antibiotic ointment ( mupirocin or fusidic acid or povidone iodine )With or without steroid( hydrocortisone ) applied twice daily can prevent infection or worsening of the wound and help in faster healing.
If there is any swelling or bleeding please seek prompt consultation and take oral analgesic antiinflammatory medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen as per your doctors prescription.
Hope that answers your query.
Follow-up: Labia majora began to itch, scratched it and injured. Hurts to pee or do any activity. Advise? 5 minutes later
What can I do to make it heal on it's own without going to a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
As I have already mentioned in my previous answer unless infected the wound is most likely to heal on its own. You just have to take measures to maintain genital hygiene and apply local antibiotic and anesthetic ointments twice to thrice daily for relief from pain and for faster healing.
Avoid scratching the region, try to avoid wearing tight undergarments and keep the region as open and dry as feasible ( though it's difficult).
Drink plenty of water and have a balanced diet to help your body deal with it faster.
Hope that answers your query.
Ill be available for any further queries.