Lab test showed low level of creatinine for egfr. Does it indicate kidney problem?

Oct 2013

I got a copy of my lab report while being treated in the er for feeling faint. My creatinine for egfr came back 56. The er doc said nothing about this number but when I got a copy of my lab report this wason there. The rest of the chem panal was normal for kidney. I read where the low number for creatinine egfr reflects Stage 3 kidney disease. I am terrified and cannot imagine why the er doc didnot alert me to this.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Indicate kidney problem, further information need Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Yes EGFR levels at 56 might indicate that its stage 3 disease. Doctor might have noticed other lab reports in normal range so may not have commented on this value. It would also be better if you can answer some of my questions such as: - what were your complaints and duration of those problems ? - any medical and surgical history. - history of hypertension and diabetes. It would be better if you could attach lab reports. I will await for complete details to give you my opinion. Any further information you can ask me in follow up query. Hope I answered your query. Regards,
Follow-up: Lab test showed low level of creatinine for egfr. Does it indicate kidney problem? 1 hour later
Noever had any type of surgery. I am not hypertensive nor diabetic. Here are the other levels on my chem panel. Cretinine 1.1, BUN 14, B/C ratio 13, non fasting glucose 109, protien total 6.9, Albumin 3.7, Globulin 3.2, A/g ratio 1.2, calcium 8.8, alt sgpt 22, ast sgot 18, alk phos 78, bilirubin total 0.5, lipase 151. Urinalysis turbidity slightly cloudy, color yellow, U ph 7.0, uspec gravity 1.015, glucose negative, ublood negative, ketones negative, , protien neg, urobilinogen 0.2, bilirubin negative, leukocyte negative, nitrate negative, wbc/hpf 0-2 , Rbc/hpf 0-2, bacteria/hpf occasional, squamous epith/hpf moderate A, mucus few. My average blood pressure during a 2 week period runs 121/81. Hopefully this will help Thank yoy.,
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Chronic kidney disease, kidney damage for 3 months Detailed Answer: Hello dear. Thanks for your query. EGFR means estimated Glomerular filtration rate based on age, serum creatinine, and race.When I performed calculation based on your values provided above it is coming around 56 same as the value mentioned in previous query. According to this value Chronic kidney disease indicating kidney damage for at least three months. All other lab values are within normal range . My recommendation for you would be to consult nephrologist for further investigation and management based on clinical symptoms and examination. We can discuss after nephrologist opinion. Hope I answered your query. Regards.