Lab test done for vitamin B12, albumin and glucose non-fasting. What does the value signify?

Thank you. My lab results shows my vitamin B12 is 1607; my albumin is 4.6 and my glucose Non-fasting is 172. Please help me understand.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing in. I will explain you the significance of test and whether it falls in normal range or not.

As your history is only of hypertension, you have been asked these tests perhaps to look for changes in kidney and to find out risk for diabetes.

Vitamin B12 - Normal range is 200 - 900 pg/mL (picograms per milliliter). High vitamin B12 is not concerning when you are asymptomatic. Low levels are associated with neurological disturbances. You are definitely not B12 deficient.

Albumin of 4.6 - The normal range is 3.4 - 5.4 grams per deciliter (g/dL).
Again you have normal albumin; your kidneys and liver are safe.

Glucose non-fasting of 172 - I consider it as random blood glucose level. Your level falls in category of pre-diabetes as per ADA guidelines. I would suggest you to get fasting and post-prandial sugar (FBS and PPBS) checked again. FBS and PPBS values are more informative.

Prediabetes as such is not concerning, but definitely warrants you to start diet and lifestyle changes to avoid future diabetes. Start now...

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam