Lab test done for TSH. Prescribed levothyroxine. Is this the right pills for this condition?

Hello doctor.i am female 27 years old .my lab test shows that I have TSH 4.760. My doctor prescribe me LEVOTHYROXINE. Is this the right pills for this condition?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 32 minutes later

"Normal" reference range for the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) blood test runs from approximately .5 to 4.5/5.0.

In some countries the value has been revised to 2.5 as normal.

Yours is on the border. In cases where doctors think that you are having symptoms of hypothyroidism he starts medicine.

The medicine levothyroxine is good and well tolerated drug. Please take it as advised and keep regular follow up with your doctor.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Follow-up: Lab test done for TSH. Prescribed levothyroxine. Is this the right pills for this condition? 34 minutes later
Thank you for your answer Dr.Pragnesh.

i am on levothyroxine 50 this to much for my condition?

i also have a very bad symptoms like :depression,very tired,rapid heart beating,a little bit shaky,problems breathing,swollen neck(sometimes),lost of appetite ....
how long i have to take the pills for this signs to go away?

also i am getting allergy shouts every week. what is the danger of getting to different medicines in the same time ?

Thank you !!!
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 27 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Do not worry about the dose. The does is always adjusted as per your response to medicine and your body weight.

All the symptoms should improve in about 1-2 weeks. Normally thyroid medicines need to be taken on regular basis for long time and mostly for life long as we are substituting the deficient hormone from out side.

You can continue with allergic shots as per schedule.

This is a very safe drug can be taken along with most of the drugs.

I hope this helps.