Lab test done and diagnosed as normal liver function with value 14. What are the risks?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Hello,I got labs back today and my doctor said my liver function was normal then she said it was the low end of normal She said 14. Is this still ok
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Kindly give complete details of your liver function test.
If you are talking about SGOT/ SGPT values is 14 then it is absolutely normal. According to AASLD (American association of study for liver disease), SGOT/ SGPT normal value for a female is 19. So it appears to be normal and there is no need to worry.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Lab test done and diagnosed as normal liver function with value 14. What are the risks? 4 minutes later
my doctor didnt tell me which test she ran. she ran it because of the statin drugs and others im on to make sure my levels were in range

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
If you are taking statins then there may be risk of derangement of liver function test. Most likely 14 values denotes level of SGOT/ SGPT. This value is normal and you can continue your statin therapy.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava