Lab results showed low level of eiosinophiles and high level of calcium. What to do?

Oncologist
Question
Lab results show low level of eiosinophiles and high level of calcium

Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some suggestions and information.

Having a low eiosinophil Count does not suggest any obvious disease process. I would not worry very much about that.

Regarding your calcium level I would have to review of additional laboratory values which were drawn at the time your blood work was done. If you could send a summary of the additional results including blood count liver function and kidney function as well as serum proteins this would help me work along with you to decide if this is something that needs to be followed.

A mildly elevated calcium level may not be anything to worry about. It needs to be checked again within a few weeks to make sure that it stays within a normal range otherwise additional laboratory testing would be indicated.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I look forward to reviewing your additional lab results. If you have other concerns I would be happy to discuss those as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Lab results showed low level of eiosinophiles and high level of calcium. What to do? 7 minutes later
Everything else was withinin normal limits.... Calcium was at 10.6....
Does this mean anything? Cancer?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up.

Most likely this is nothing to worry about. I do suggest that you have your electrolytes evaluated again in about six weeks. This would tell us whether this is a fluctuation in the calcium level. Sometimes there can be a mild dysfunction in the parathyroid gland.
This gland controls the calcium balance in the body. In your case the calcium is only very slightly elevated. I would not worry too much about this other than getting the lab checked again in six weeks.

Thanks again for submitting the question. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert