Ask a Urologist   »  

Lab report on sons circumcision operation, no atypical features noticed. Report analysis ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi my name is XXXXXXX
i have uploaded a lab report we were sent but would like it explained in laymens terms as i am not a physician, it was my sons circumsicion, your help would be appreciated thanks.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later

According to the pathology report, your son appears to have a condition called Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans (BXO) otherwise known as Lichen Sclerosus et Atrophicus.

This is a condition of unknown cause which can cause thickening and whitish lesions on the penis and foreskin. It can cause narrowing of the foreskin which will require circumcision to relieve it, also it can present as white patch on the head of penis or on the shaft of the penis.

Some experts regard it as it being caused by infection for which circumcision may be protective.

It can cause complications like phimosis, urinary retention, add Testosterone ointment as well.

This lesion is known to be pre-cancerous for many conditions like penile cancer, skin cancer of the foreskin as well. If the lesion is removed, then less chance of this to happen.

The child can be monitored if any such lesions are developing over the penis as well which requires treatment. Nowadays Carbon dioxide lasers are also being used to treat this condition.

Since circumcision has been done, less chance for recurrence but constant follow up with the Doctor will help detect any early lesions as necessary.

Keep your son on balanced diet and well hydrated. Educate your son about protection while having sex when required, as certain sexually transmitted infections can also cause this. If he ever develops burning sensation on passing urine, any unexplained loss of weight he needs to consult with his Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Lab report on sons circumcision operation, no atypical features noticed. Report analysis ? 1 hour later

Could you explain the part that says" no atypical features are seen in the sections examined" thanks for your detailed answer before.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

No atypical features means that no XXXXXXX changes towards cancer were present in the biopsy specimen.

This means the lesion is relatively benign as of now and it needs monitoring to find if it progresses to malignancy.

No immediate worry. Just keep your child healthy. Proper nutrition, maintainence of proper hygiene as well.

Follow up with his Doctor regularly and follow instructions as advised.