LIght headness, ringing in the ears. Whats the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been feeling light headed XXXXXXX and ringing in the ears from past 20 days.

I 'm not sure what the reason is

sometimes i will have sharp pain in the head but it will go off in less than 1 minute.

When i sleep there will be no symptoms however when i wake up in the morning the light headedness starts slowly nad be there for entire day.

I also feel like some hot air is flowing through my ear.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 minutes later
Hi there.

Do you have fever, nausea, giddiness, vertigo (sensation of the room rotating around you) or hearing loss ?

Any headache, blurring of vision ?

Any sense of fullness in the ears ?

The symptoms you have listed could fit into many possible conditions like Anemia, Dehydration, Diabetes, High blood pressure, Meniere's disease, overwork and fatigue, trauma, infections etc.

Once the cause is found out, the required remedies and treatment can be started.

For now, kindly follow the following instructions for relief.

Consume a glass of water.

Lie down with your head flat.

Avoid loud noise or bright lights near you.

You may take a tablet of Betahistine or Phenergan. These medicines can cause drowsiness, so do take it once before going to sleep only.

After you feel better, have a full meal.

Tomorrow morning before breakfast get your blood sugar tested. Also get your blood pressure tested at a Clinic or Hospital.

Keep the following things in mind. Never miss a meal. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day.

Avoid junk food, caffeine, colas, pastries, smoking and alcohol.

Kindly answer my queries and do follow up with me on your progress.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: LIght headness, ringing in the ears. Whats the reason? 1 hour later
Hello Aashish,

Thanks for your reply.

Below are my answers for your questions.

Do you have fever, nausea, giddiness, vertigo (sensation of the room rotating around you) or hearing loss ? No.I do not have any sensation of nausea,giddiness or hearing loss.

Intially i though it was giddiness but never felt that room rotating around me.

Any headache, blurring of vision ? no head ache , i guess have i have some kind of blurry vision when looking to computer for a longer time

Any sense of fullness in the ears ? yes, i feel like i have fullness in the ears

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

There is possibility of overwork and stress as the cause of the ringing sensation in the ears.

Fullness in the ears could indicate impacted ear wax as well. This is a common cause of ear block. It would be best to get seen by an ENT Doctor for the presence of possible impacted wax.

I hope I have answered your query.