L.F.T test done. What does the report signify?

hello sir,
i am 38 years old. yesterday i went for L.F.T test. my serum bilirubin is 0.5 mg, serum bilirubin(D) is 0.2, AST is 68, ALT is 117, ALKALINE PHOSPT. is 220, A/G ratio is 1.4, SERLUM PROTEINS is 7.0, ALBUMIN is 4.1, GLOBULIN is 2.9
kindly give ur expert opinion
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 45 minutes later

In your LFT reports only liver enzymes (ALT, Alkaline phosphatase) values are high.

There are many reasons of elevated liver enzymes without elevated bilirubin. Few of the common causes are certain medications (like statin for dyslipidemia, pain killer or NSAID etc.), alcohol, hepatitis, obesity, cirrhosis, Gall stone, pancreatitis, etc. Rarely celiac disease, XXXXXXX disease, hemochromatosis, infection mononucleosis, heart failure etc. may be associated.

We need to rule out the above possibilities.

It would have been better if you had elaborated your symptoms and your past medical history along with the reason why the liver function test was done.

You may discuss with your treating doctor / gastroenterologist to correlate the findings with your medical history and exclude majority of the causes. If there is no significant cause found, then we need to monitor the levels by repeat tests done. In addition few more investigations such as ultrasound examination, complete blood count, viral hepatitis markers, blood sugar, PT (prothrombin time) and INR needs to be done too.

I also encourage you to follow the below suggestion-
1. Plenty of fluid intakes.
2. Adequate XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and nutritious food containing vitamins and minerals.
3. No addiction (like alcohol, smoking etc).
4. Don’t intake of medicine without doctor prescription.
5. Avoid spicy, fatty, oily food and take blunt diet.
6. Can start any hepatoprotective drugs (like liv 52), a proton pump inhibitor (like omeprazole).
7. be cautious that stool should be clear every day otherwise you have to take laxative at night.

Consult your physician / gastroenterologist as and when possible and discuss about the aforementioned possibilities / tests.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly
Follow-up: L.F.T test done. What does the report signify? 17 hours later
Dear sir,
Thanks for ur expert advise. i actually gone for lipid profile test because of my B.P was 95/140. lab man advised me to conduct all testes. i have no history regarding lever disease, sugar etc. as i was quite healthy. i am a tax advocate/ consultant and this results heavy sitting approx. 8 - 9 hours daily. last month i had taken 2 or 3 tablets of pentaprazole & domiprazole daily during the whole month for my constipation, besides this pain killer of 2 or 3 tables for three days only as i had gone to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX yatra.i have been drinking alcohol 3 to 4 peg 3 days in a week since 2006. my tests as below mentioned:-
B- SUGAR(F) - 79
S. URIC ACID - 8.1
VLDL - 21.6
L.F.T test are already send to u.
please tell me that how serious is my liver report.
thanking you
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Your lipid profile reports are within normal limit and your blood pressure level is above normal.

Your history suggests that your live enzymes are raised probably due to your alcohol intake.

Please follow my previous advices and totally stop drinking alcohol.

For your blood pressure, I do not think you need any medicine now. Only life style and food habit change may be sufficient in this change.

The implication of your LFT report only can be told after doing all other investigations as I suggested.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer, and please write a review for me.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sourav Ganguly